Like other household goods, such as computer parts and televisions, the best way to pack up a pair of shoes is in the original box they came in. But there’s a good chance that those got tossed soon after you bought the shoes, however, don’t fret! You can buy boxes specifically for shoes (a good idea if they are expensive) or wrap them in paper using the method outlined below. Mastodon Moving can provide you with boxes and packing of shoes as well.
Pack in Pairs
A general rule of thumb is to always pack your shoes in pairs. Even if more than one pair is going in a box you can keep a matching set together by rolling them up in a single sheet of packing paper. This will also keep them from rubbing up against other shoes and getting scuffed.
Here’s how to wrap a pair of shoes:
- Start with a sheet of packing paper laid out flat on a table or the ground.
- Place one shoe at the corner of the paper.
- Fold the edge of the paper over the shoe and roll it diagonally towards the center of the paper once so the paper completely covers the shoe.
- Then place the other shoe against the one you just rolled.
- Fold the edges to the left and right of the shoes in towards the center over the shoes.
- Roll the shoes up the rest of the way to make a tight bundle.
Optional Tip: Place a piece of tape at the edge of the paper to keep it from unraveling.
Now you have a nicely wrapped pair of shoes that won’t get scuffed up
- Sort and Declutter: Before you start packing, go through your shoe collection and declutter. Consider donating, selling, or giving away shoes you no longer wear or need. Reducing the number of shoes will make the moving process easier and save space in your new home. Hire a moving concierge to help if needed.
- Gather Supplies: Acquire suitable packing materials, such as sturdy cardboard boxes, shoeboxes, packing paper, bubble wrap, packing tape, and markers for labeling.
- Take Inventory: Create an inventory list of your shoe collection. This will help you keep track of your shoes during the move and ensure nothing gets lost.
- Protect Your Shoes: To prevent damage during transportation, stuff your shoes with tissue paper or packing paper to maintain their shape. Wrap delicate or expensive shoes individually in packing paper or bubble wrap. Learn more about packing help.
- Pack by Category: Organize your shoes into categories, such as sandals, sneakers, dress shoes, etc. This will make unpacking and arranging them in your new home easier.
- Label Boxes: Clearly label each box with the category of shoes it contains. If you have a favorite or expensive pair, mark those boxes as “fragile” to ensure extra care during handling.
- Use Original Shoeboxes: If you still have the original shoeboxes, use them for packing. They are designed to protect the shoes during shipping and will keep your shoes organized.
- Wrap Shoe Pairs Together: Keep shoe pairs together by tying their laces or using rubber bands. This way, you won’t have to search for matching shoes after the move.
- Consider Specialized Storage Containers: There are special shoe storage containers or bags available that can help protect your shoes and keep them organized during the move.
- Transportation: If possible, move the shoe collection in your personal vehicle rather than a moving truck. This way, you can ensure better care and supervision during transportation. Learn more about movers near me.
- Pack Shoes Last, Unpack First: If using a moving truck, load your shoe boxes last so that they are the first items to be unloaded. This way, you can quickly access your shoes and start setting up your collection in your new home.
- Keep Valuables with You: If you have extremely valuable or sentimental shoes, consider keeping them with you during the move, such as in a suitcase or overnight bag.
- Store Properly in Your New Home: Once you arrive at your new home, ensure your shoe collection is stored in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight to maintain their quality. Learn more about moving and storage.
Remember to take your time, be organized, and prioritize the safety of your shoes during the move. With proper planning and care, you can successfully transport your huge shoe collection to your new home.
Packing high-end shoes requires extra care and attention to ensure they remain in pristine condition during the move. Here are some tips for packing high-end shoes:
- Clean the Shoes: Before packing, make sure to clean the shoes thoroughly. Remove any dirt, dust, or stains using appropriate cleaning methods based on the shoe material.
- Stuff the Shoes: To maintain their shape and prevent them from getting squished during transportation, stuff the shoes with tissue paper or bubble wrap. You can also use the original shoe stuffing if available.
- Individual Wrapping: Wrap each shoe separately in soft packing paper or bubble wrap. This will protect them from scuffs and scratches during the move.
- Use Shoe Bags or Cloth Wraps: Place each shoe in a shoe bag or wrap them in soft cloth to provide an additional layer of protection.
- Original Shoeboxes: If you have the original shoeboxes, use them for packing. They are designed to provide the best protection for the shoes and keep them secure during transportation. Ensure you fill any empty spaces in the shoebox to prevent shifting.
- Labeling: Clearly label the boxes containing high-end shoes as “fragile” or “high value” to alert the movers or yourself to handle them with extra care.
- Secure Packing: Pack the shoeboxes securely in a sturdy cardboard box. Use packing material like bubble wrap or packing peanuts to fill any gaps and provide cushioning.
- Don’t Overpack: Avoid overpacking the box with too many shoes, as it can lead to damage. If necessary, use additional boxes for your high-end shoes.
- Carry On Your Own: If possible, carry your high-end shoes with you personally during the move, especially if they are exceptionally valuable or delicate. This way, you can ensure their safety throughout the journey.
- Climate Control: Consider the climate during the move, especially if you’re using a moving truck or storage unit. Extreme temperatures and humidity can affect certain shoe materials, so opt for climate-controlled transportation if necessary.
- Insurance: If your high-end shoe collection is particularly valuable, consider getting additional insurance coverage to protect them during the move. Mastodon Moving offers coverage on all moves.
- Unpack and Inspect: Once you arrive at your new location, unpack the high-end shoes as soon as possible. Inspect each pair to ensure they haven’t suffered any damage during transit.
By following these packing tips, you can safeguard your high-end shoe collection and have peace of mind during the moving process. Remember, investing a little extra effort in packing will go a long way in preserving the quality of your valuable shoes.